I came to a realization recently that in my quest to raise the respect level of the beauty industry that this is something that can be used across the board…no matter your industry. If you are in an industry that you feel does not get the respect is deserves it is up to you to take responsibility for it. If you find yourself saying “I hold myself to a high standard it’s everyone else that is the problem” you have to take responsibility for that too! If you are an industry leader it is your responsibility to lead those down the path of mastering that same leadership. The only way we can do this is to do it together. Here is the thing though… it’s ALL ABOUT YOUR ATTITUDE!
1. Assume the best out of everyone. If others in your industry are not holding themselves to a higher standard therefore not earning respect assume that is because they don’t know how or know that it is even an option. Not that they just don’t want to or don’t care enough. So many people never had that person in their life telling them how smart and powerful they are. BE THAT PERSON!!!
2. Be thankful for as much or as little as you have. No matter what you have its is something you have to be thankful for. My boyfriend shared with me that after working an 18 hour day only to get up 5 hours later to do it all over again he saw a man pushing a cart full of metal that he had collected from the streets. What an eye-opener. The thing is if I had the opportunity to speak to that man pushing the cart he too would have something to be thankful for. When you count your blessings it gives you a feeling of power and strength that can be used to pass onto others.
3. Make eye contact with EVERYONE! The cashiers, your server, your barista, any human being that you have contact with…look them in the eyes!
4. Smile! Smile at everyone!!! A smile has an energy that is contagious.
5. Shake hands….everyone that you greet…shake their hand. Learn how to give a proper handshake…no limp wrist or dead fish handshakes…those are disgusting and will only cost you respect not earn it.
6. Stand up straight…head up, shoulders back, chest out! I can see your confidence level in your posture…if your not feeling confident fake it with perfect posture and eventually you become confident!
7. Use powerful words…words that perk people’s ears. Delivery those words in a way that create intrigue.
8. Take care of your hygiene! Respect is lost when you are the stinky kid…deodorant, breath mints…if you’re a smoker find a way to get rid of that smell….use perfume/cologne but use it sparingly!
9. ONLY wear clothes that you KNOW you look fucking awesome in!! If you put something on and you look in the mirror and think “meh”….donate it! GET IT OUT OF YOUR CLOSET IMMEDIATELY! Only wear pieces you feel killer in!!!
10. BE EARLY! I’d rather be 3 hours early than 1 minute late!!!
11. Choose to have a killer attitude…at the end of the day EVERYTHING is a choice!
If you follow these rules of thumb, teach them to the people in your industry, hold yourself and them accountable….you become a force to be reckoned with and so will your industry!